Wednesday, February 24, 2016

You mean, we're on? It's happening?!?! I'm getting new boobs???

Well, I started this journey many, many years ago and now - it's happening!!! Surgery is scheduled for March 7, 2016. In December I went to my primary care doctor for a litany of concerns, one of which was my boobies. She referred me to a plastic surgeon who specializes in breasts, mostly reconstruction for cancer patients and she does a lot of reductions. I last last few years, we moved to the Bay Area and I had another baby. My breasts grew to a 36J/K at their peak (nope, not just joking here!). A year and a half later, they've settled down to a 34i. Yes, as in "eye." I am unable to purchase brassieres at Nordstroms (they only go to an H) or Macy's (they stop at G) and have been buying them at a specialty shop in Oakland. Prima Donna is one of the only brands that fits and I have the pleasure of spending $125-150 per bra. Mmmmhmm! Quick rant: Stop telling me to buy my damn bras online, people. Do you not know that 80% of women wear the wrong size bra and that you should ideally be fitted by a professional EVERY time you bra shop because your titties change? I just read somewhere the female body changes about six time over her lifetime. Add the fun house aspect of pregnancy (three of those, in my case) and well, my tits need to be checked on every year. And once I drop $300 on two bras (the two bras I found after trying on 6-9), I'm going to wear the fuck out of them and can't afford to buy more. Of the women who buy bras online, do you buy like, 10 bras and ship 8 back? I don't understand! I personally cannot throw down $600-800 to buy bras online to get them home to try them all on and find the ones that fit properly to then return $500 worth of bras. It's crazy sauce! So I got my referral and made my appointment. Amazing how the plastic surgeon could see me within a week and the dermatologist couldn't see me for three months. I still haven't had that appointment yet! At my consultation, the doc checked out my boobies. She called the long (they are) and told me she does the anchor technique. I asked about the lollipop incision and she said some doctors are very good at it because they do it all the time but she works with the anchor. Because my breasts are so long, I'll need the bigger scars. On the plus side, because of my skin tone, I should scar up nicely. We looked at before and after pictures and her work seems just fine. I spend about 90 minutes looking at before/after pics on RealSelf and it's interesting: breasts are so different! I realize that reads obvious but when you look at tits as much as I have in the past few weeks, man, they are REALLY different! Some boobs touch and meet at the center of the chest. Mine do not. There is actually at least one centimeter difference between the two. The surgeon explained how she can't really change the shape of the breast - of course they'll be smaller but she has to work with existing tissue. She has a lot more freedom with the nipple. Oh! My nipple will mostly stay attached during the procedure to retain sensitivity. The areola will be reshaped and moved up almost six inches. The volume will decrease by at least a half, if not 2/3. I'm gonna be a C/D cup. I haven't had titties that small since I was FOURTEEN. Fourteen!!! Back to the appointment: the doc didn't see how the insurance company could deny me and she told me that with my insurance, she's never had an issue getting a reduction approved. My consultation was back in mid-January. She could have done the surgery in February but I couldn't because my partner and I are planning the school auction which takes place March 5. The physician is having a grand baby mid-March and is taking two weeks off so if I got lucky, I might be able to have it done the second week of March or I was going to have to wait until April. Guess who got lucky! Ahhhh!!!! I walked out of the office after putting $250 down for her surgery fee and have tried to obsessively not think about it. My mom is coming down the first two days post surgery and my Dad might tag team and come down after that. I've been likening the recovery to a c-section because I've had three of those and know what to expect recovery-wise from major abdominal surgery. A reduction takes a full 6-8 weeks to heal just like the way I birth babies, but apparently it's not nearly as intense because no muscle is being sliced into. I'm going to email some mums and see if they can take the baby for a few hours each day as well - even if it's just for a 30 minutes walk around the neighborhood! More will be written in the coming weeks. I have fears bubbling up regarding body issues and of course regarding surgery complications but the excitement far outweighs all that. I can't wait to go bikini shopping! And you now what else I am going to do? Run. This woman is going to run a 5K. ME. I'm going to become a runner! Not a long distance once and not like, a forever this-is-my-sport kind of runner, but I am going to run a 5K and I am so fucking excited about the possibility of being able to do this because these breasts have been holding me back but that is changing in 12 days. TWELVE mother fucking days!

No comments:

Post a Comment